Guest post: 5 reasons writing will make your travel experience richer

For me, travel, blogging and writing go hand in hand. I enjoy capturing the moments of enjoyment and excitement from my travels through my photographs and blog posts. Today’s guest post highlights how writing can enrich these travel experiences and how writing can enhance your blogging too.

Writing will change your life

Writing is a form of art that will challenge you and at the same time make every life experience richer, fuller and transform it into something communicative and strong. Especially traveling.

All of us take photos while they travel, which is amazing. Photography can transport us into a moment and preserve memories. But what it cannot do is capture the detail and the particular story of that moment in a way only writing can.

Take the pressure off your shoulders to write perfectly. You don’t expect to be a professional photographer on your travels as well, do you? You will learn by doing, and even if nobody but you reads your travel writing in twenty years, it will be a vibrant and amazing experience to do so.

Travel and writing

But there is so much more that can happen with your travel writing over time.

It can become a travel memoir, like the recent amazing book by Roz Morris “Not Quite Lost – Travels without a Sense of Direction“, which is a collection of over twenty years of writing while she traveled Britain.

Or it can become a travel blog with stories, pictures, and tips.

It can also become a research tool, like my last trip to Scotland and England to visit the locations of my new novel “Prometheus Rising”.

It can even be an inspiration to write fictitious short stories or novels.

Your travel writing can become a home for your soul, a place you can return to for a new experience of those unique moments. But it can also become a well of inspiration and fun for those people you share it with.

1. Writing encapsulates moments that would be long forgotten otherwise

A strange old woman in a youth hostel. The moment you found yourself in the middle of a national park with nearly no fuel. The feeling you stood at those cliffs for the first time.

All those small details that make life will be gone from your memory in ten or more years. Even photos are unable to capture them. But if you keep a travel diary, they will stay there forever, waiting to be relived and bring a new feeling of nostalgia and a life lived to the fullest.

2. Writing provides room to think and come up with new ideas

Why waste time on writing while you could just soak in the beautiful moment or the scenery? Why sacrifice time of your precious vacation day while you could spend it with friends and family?

But writing does not have to take much time. Fifteen minutes, half an hour maybe will be enough. But those 15-30 minutes are worth it.

While you write and ponder upon your experience, new ideas will pop up in your head. Writing will stimulate your creative cells. And creativity is what we are really looking for, what we need towards our road into happiness.

You don’t have to write a memoir. You could instead use a location, a situation or anything that stayed with you to come up with a great short story.

This way, your travel experience will leave you with more than just pictures: you will return home with new stories, ideas, and motivation of how to change your own life and become more creative.

3. Writing trains you to pay attention to the little details

Writers are people who pay attention to things nobody else sees: The way a person moves his head, changes his posture, raises an eyebrow, or nervously moves his legs.

The way the mountain looks upon the valley and the light break the clouds to bath the grass in spots of vibrant green.

Once you start writing, you will SEE much more of everything around you. You will memorize the colors, the weather, the light, the people you meet. You will see the details of a world that have evaded you until now.

Beautiful creek

If you look at your traveling with a “writer’s eye”, you will experience so much more than you have ever before, because you will see things in a different light, and the world will become a playground for details and ideas for your writing.

4. Writing is a source of inspiration and a form of communication

If you write while traveling, this can become a benefit for you and the people around you.

Once you reread your writing, it will motivate you to write more, travel more, see more and experience more. And if it does this to you, why not to others?

Your writing can fascinate people and inspire them to travel more, visit the places you’ve been to, repeat the experiences.

But it can also communicate your unique worldview in a way that will entertain and inspire people for their everyday lives, make them think and see the world in a different light.

5. Writing will change your life

Writing changed my life.

And even if I have always been someone who loved writing, I genuinely believe that everybody has what it takes, because all of us have a unique voice and unique story we have to tell the world.

Writing set my creativity free, it liberated me, it made me passionate about stories and my own life, enriched my everyday routine and my vacations and travel experiences, it has connected me with interesting people I’d have never met otherwise, it has made me happier and energized me … there is just not enough room to tell how amazing it is to write.

One last tip: Be honest with your writing. Readers always appreciate honesty. They are looking for someone to tell the truth in an entertaining and unique way. And you can be this person.

Nobody can tell your story but you.

If you’re a passionate traveler, there are many stories you have to tell, I’m sure of that. Just start writing, set aside conscious time to do so, and you’ll see how you will fall in love with the process and the results.

Also, it is a craft that can never be exhausted. There are so many amazing principles and techniques to storytelling, and it’s an adventure to learn them and apply them to your art.

Start telling your story. Start writing, and you’ll see how it will change your travels and your life.

Diana Wink

Diana Wink is an author & film director, gym freak & creative entrepreneur, currently based in Germany. She loves stories with all her heart because they have the power to transform and touch the very core of our being. Her passion is to empower people to live a fulfilling life by becoming a creative storyteller on the Story Artist website & blog.

Share:

1. 1st October 2017 / 12:46 am

Yes yes yes! Writing totally encapsulates the moment & it’s one of my favorite things to do. :]

• 5th October 2017 / 8:40 am

It really makes life richer, while traveling and beyond 😉
      Thank you for the comment, Carmen, and I’m happy I could inspire.

2. 1st October 2017 / 2:56 am

This is so beautifully written and I couldn’t agree more. Thank you for sharing <3

• 5th October 2017 / 8:38 am

Thank you for the comment, Sandy, I’m happy you enjoyed it 🙂

3. 1st October 2017 / 3:24 am

I agree with all of this. I used to keep a diary, but stopped when I got too busy. It’s only when I decided to clear time for travel and keep a travel blog that I began writing regularly again, and it definitely changed the way I experience travel.

When I’m thinking about the stories I would write, I make more effort to capture photos that I want to talk about later, and in a way that better expressed the story that I thought I might want to tell. So I actually end up with much better photography even as an amateur. And I pay attention more to the moment, and follow leads more, which is usually pretty hard for me to do. And I suspect, long years after, I’d be glad to have these stories to look back to – and remember all the me’s that have been.

• 5th October 2017 / 8:37 am

A blog is a great “tool” to help us write on a regular basis, improve the craft and at the same time find an audience, and thus communicate with our writing.

It’s so cool you make yourself vulnerable and try to provide value to the people with your writing. Keep up the work!

4. Jasmin N
    1st October 2017 / 8:28 am

Amazing post! I live for the little details haha.

• 5th October 2017 / 8:35 am

😀 they really make life what it is. I’m glad you enjoyed the post!

5. 1st October 2017 / 1:18 pm

I always enjoyed writing but have found I absolutely love it since I started writing about traveling. This post captures all the reasons why – and more – so I am inspired to keep trying new things and expanding the craft. Thank you!

• 5th October 2017 / 8:34 am

Thanks for the comment, Sarah!
      I’m really glad I could inspire. If you need any help or advice with the writing craft, let me know 😉

6. 1st October 2017 / 11:31 pm

The greenery is really one of the most place to be whenever and with whoever.

7. 2nd October 2017 / 11:02 am

Such a beautiful post, and yes, there is nothing better than writting xo

• 5th October 2017 / 8:32 am

Thanks Ivana, I totally agree 🙂

8. 3rd October 2017 / 1:16 pm

What a lovely post. I had diaries from my backpacking trips and now I want to dig them out for a read!

• 5th October 2017 / 8:32 am

Thanks Kate! It’s a delight to reread those things. And often you’ll notice that your writing was unexpectedly good (at least that’s what happens to me) 😉 and maybe it’ll inspire you to start writing again 😉

9. Renna
    4th October 2017 / 5:12 pm

Absolutely agree. Writing from a young age in a diary is great practice of writing lifetime memories.

10. chichi
    4th October 2017 / 8:51 pm

i agree with all your reasons, writing has definitely made my travel experience richer, something about documenting!!

• 5th October 2017 / 8:30 am

Especially when you combine them with photos or videos and dig in those memories years later … it’s really amazing!

11. 4th October 2017 / 11:35 pm

I think writing is a great way to remember your experiences and something like a travel diary would be great to read years later.

12. 5th October 2017 / 6:48 am

Writing certainly changed my life. That said, I used to be a travel journalist so I totally get what you mean! Even so, it’s been a long time since I stayed in a youth hostel. Not sure youth applies to me any longer!

13. 5th October 2017 / 7:53 am

I love this post, I looked back at some of the travel writing I have done and it’s amazing how it can transport you back to your trip and remind you of things you might have forgotten. xx

14. 5th October 2017 / 9:47 am

Explained so well and it is true, writing anything that comes in to your head is quite remarkable, there is a reason it is there x

15. 5th October 2017 / 10:03 am

Such a gorgeous post – I agree about writing letting you keep the memories. It’s part of the reason I love my journal (and blogging!) so much!

16. 5th October 2017 / 3:42 pm

I completely agree writing has definitely changed my life. I can’t imagine not having space to write x

17. 5th October 2017 / 8:39 pm

I love reading the travel stories of others. My son has complex needs so travelling isn’t easy for us but I can still dream through other’s travel writings.

18. 5th October 2017 / 8:46 pm

Love this thanks for sharing. I simply adore writing, sharing and exploring through my writing

19. 6th October 2017 / 6:40 am

I’m going travelling next year, I’m not sure if I will write about it on my blog but I think I still need to document it in some way.

20. 6th October 2017 / 7:36 pm

I go through the motions of sometimes not wanting to write anything at all and then other times when I just cannot stop.

21. 7th October 2017 / 6:24 pm

Honestly, I couldn’t agree more – I find travelling since being a blogger has really done so much good for me and I love to write about my experiences. It gets my creativity flowing.

22. 7th October 2017 / 8:18 pm

I love this so much. I feel like this is relative whether or not you are travelling. I definitely have periods when I don’t know what to right & struggle to get inspired though. x

23. 7th October 2017 / 8:40 pm

love this post, I have found blogging my memories so enriching it’s sharing the memories is fantastic.
    not only that but getting better with my writing and learning more about getting over my social anxiety.

24. 9th October 2017 / 12:11 am

This is a great post! I love the idea of writing about my travels that’s definitely something I need to do next time I’m out and about 🙂

25. 9th October 2017 / 8:37 pm

I always try to pay attention to the little details, it makes your travel writing stand out

26. 11th October 2017 / 9:43 am

I love writing about our travels. It helps jog the memory of things we forgot and reminds you of the wonderful time you have had

27. 14th October 2017 / 12:13 am

Great tips for writer! Thank you so much for sharing. It’s very nice to refresh my idea from talented people from around the world. I love to use a field note while I travel as well, not just take a picture. Thanks a again for this wonderful article.