The top 7 travel packing hacks for any trip

Travel packing hacks

Packing for a vacation can be both stressful and exciting! I actually love packing for vacations. Unpacking, on the other hand is a different story. I like to think I’m rather organised, so I wanted to share my own travel packing hacks to help you prepare for your next trip.

First things first, different types of trips mean different packing requirements. But despite the type of trip you may be packing for, there are some general travel packing hacks that will help anyone maximise their luggage allowance.

Just roll with it

When packing smaller items such as socks and underwear, opt to roll them and you can stuff them into shoes or empty gaps. I also advise rolling t-shirts as this takes up less space overall. You’ll be surprised how much easier it is to make things fit too. Which brings me onto my next tip…

Double stuff it

Depending on your shoe size of course, but you can usually pack up to 3 pairs of socks in one shoe once they are rolled. I’m a UK size 6 and can fit 2 pairs of socks and a pair of underwear in one shoe!

Pack a bag

Ok, so you’re packing a bag and I’m telling you to pack another bag? Yes! Don’t forget to pack spare empty plastic bags. They come in handy for wrapping dirty or wet clothes or anything else you want to keep separate from your clothes.

More than just a shower cap

Similar to the above hack, shower caps are also great for doubling up as shoe covers. They fit perfectly around your shoe or sandal so are perfect when you are trying to keep the sand away from the rest of your clothes. Not to mention that they can pretty much be found in any hotel room.

Travel essentials

Keeping it bottom heavy

Distributing your items evenly is just one part of the problem. If you haven’t packed it right, you may find the weight uneven and hard to roll along. So be sure to pack your heavier items such as shoes towards the bottom of the case. This will help with the weight distribution and make it easier to roll.

Prepare for the worst

I always pack emergency items such as pain killers, plasters and even imodium (which was a lifesaver on a trip to Philippines!). Packing useful medication is always handy as you never know when or if you will get a chance to find a pharmacy at your destination.

Save space for things you love

Lastly, don’t forget to save some space for all the goodies you know you will eventually buy. If you’re like me you may even have a slight addiction to shopping at duty free. And don’t forget the space all your souvenirs will take up!

So that makes my travel packing hacks, do you have any of your own to share? Also check out these space saving packing tips from the experts at Travel & Leisure. Have you got any exciting holidays booked?

Share:

1. 7th July 2017 / 6:19 pm

This is great, I love reading these types of posts and seeing how others pack, I usually learn a trick or two, like saving space for souvenirs I’m the worst for not doing that, I always overpack even when I try not to, which means I’m always ending up trying to find places to put them in my case or backpack. I’m an airport souvenir buying girl too which is an added bag to bring home and will probably be the same with my trip to Canada next week. 🙂

2. 8th July 2017 / 1:47 am

I absolutely love packing! Always get so excited for it just before a trip haha. These were all brilliant tips! Definitely going to come back this post before my next trip!

Tiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

3. 8th July 2017 / 9:10 pm

This is a good little post for those that are going away and maybe are travelling for the first time! Loved the pictures 🙂

Sophia xo // sophiaaaxo.com

4. 8th July 2017 / 11:07 pm

I absolutely love packing! Always get so excited for it before a trip haha. These were all brilliant tips! Definitely going to come back to this post before my next trip x

Tiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

5. 9th July 2017 / 9:03 am

Thanks for the tips, and I agree wholeheartedly about the Imodium, especially to the Philippines!

6. 9th July 2017 / 9:55 pm

I’ve never even thought to put things inside shoes!!! What a brilliant idea!

7. 9th July 2017 / 10:16 pm

Thanks for the tips 🙂 I always do the ‘shove stuff in shoes’ trick!!

8. Ting
    9th July 2017 / 10:18 pm

Thanks for these tips. I am always looking for new packing tips as I’m on the go throughout the year.

9. 10th July 2017 / 10:43 am

Great tips – I always pack several carrier nags and nappy bags are really handy too! Kaz x

10. 10th July 2017 / 12:24 pm

Oh my goodness, what amazing hacks! I’m a huge fan of the roll method too – but I’d never thought of using shower caps as shoe covers!!! MIND. BLOWN.

xo Jaime
    Angloyankophile

11. Fatima
    10th July 2017 / 5:00 pm

These are indeed some great tips! Personally, I prefer staying at luxury hotels that provide toiletries and other essentials so I don’t have to pack a lot. Now after becoming a mum, most of the bags I pack have stuff for my baby.

12. 10th July 2017 / 8:26 pm

I am hereby a clothes roller and shoe stuffer BUT that shower cap hack? I am SO stealing that!!! Fab tips!

Thanks for sharing!

Leigh at Fashion Du Jour LDN x

13. 10th July 2017 / 9:40 pm

These are fantastic tips! I’ve heard about the rolling & the shower cap tricks before, but the others are new to me!

14. 10th July 2017 / 10:54 pm

I always roll our clothes up, it saves on so much space!

15. 10th July 2017 / 11:04 pm

I tend to roll my clothes too because I know I will always overpack lol. The shower caps as covers is such a good idea, I had not thought of that before! x

16. 10th July 2017 / 11:25 pm

Love traveling which means I love packing. These are all great tips I always apply!

17. 11th July 2017 / 12:41 pm

These are some amazing tips, I’ll Definetly be using these for when I go to Paris to save some room for everything I’m going to bring back

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

18. 11th July 2017 / 7:48 pm

This article is really helpful, you’ve done a great job!! I found useful especially the shower cap trick, I never thought of that!! Btw I really like your blog overeall, keep it up♥️

19. 11th July 2017 / 9:06 pm

You have a similar pacing style to me. Rolling clothes is definitely a space saver and if done properly can help lessen wrinkles. I like to clothing that can be dressed up or dressed down and till always take ‘posh’ sandals as well as casual. Shoes can completely change an outfit!

20. 11th July 2017 / 9:08 pm

Great tips! Packing always makes me excited to go places becsuse it bascially finalises your trip 🙂

21. 11th July 2017 / 9:21 pm

Never thought about putting stuff in shoes. That’s super clever. Thanks for the tip.

22. 12th July 2017 / 11:35 pm

These are all fantastic packing hacks. And I love your bag. It’s right up my street 🙂

Louise x

23. 14th July 2017 / 5:59 am

The extra bag idea really is a life saver! I can’t tell you how often I’ve forgotten one and had to try to separate my clothes (ew!). I’d also add under the “pack for the worst” to always have at least one extra outfit! I’ve been in the unfortunate situation of being stranded due to a hurricane and I had to buy clothes from a gift shop, which is always awful. Amazing post though! <3

24. Helen
    16th July 2017 / 7:05 pm

I love packing too! I especially love writing lists of things to pack as I’m a bit sad like that haha. I’ve never thought of rolling things so will try that for my next holiday.