How to inject colour into your Spring work wardrobe

Spring colours office wear

You only have to take a peek at my instagram to know that I rarely wear anything that isn’t my usual palette of black, white or grey! But seeing as it’s now Spring and I’ve just started a new job, I thought it was the perfect time to introduce some different colours to my work wardrobe. You know, symbolising change and all that! Adding colour to work wear hasn’t been an easy feat. But I’ve found that balancing pops of colour and statement prints alongside my usual blacks and whites has made it a bit easier.

Make a statement

Adding colour to work wear doesn’t have to be a huge effort. Simply adding a statement t-shirt or print can infuse a little bit of colour and variety into your outfit comfortably. Don’t be afraid to rock these in the office either, you can dress it up with a longline blazer and cropped trousers.

There’s currently a great range of statement tees available at Topshop. Albeit most are in black and white, but some feature pops of colour. I’ve particularly fallen in love with the Gucci inspired one, available for £15.00 at Topshop.

A post shared by Topshop (@topshop) on

SHOP THIS LOOK

Balance the colours

If you’re adding colour to work wear for the first time, start small and learn to balance the colours. By this, I mean, adding a bright colour and then balancing out with neutral tones like black, white, grey or beige.

A good example of this is to team up a simple white top with a bright blazer and/or bright trousers. I like adding colour to my outfit by wearing one statement colour and then wearing neutral colours to balance. I recently purchased some bright red tapered trousers from Topshop which I team up with my white blazer from Marks & Spencers.

But if you are going to add colour to your work wear, go bold or go home! Make sure to at least add one bright item in order to make a statement this Spring.

A post shared by Topshop (@topshop) on

SHOP THIS LOOK

Stay comfortable

The best advice I could give anyone hoping to add colour to their work wear, is to stay comfortable! Don’t push yourself into wearing styles or designs you wouldn’t be comfortable wearing all day. It’s not about stepping too far out of your comfort zone. It’s about adding a splash of colour where you can or changing up your usual monochrome uniform.

I suggest investing in staple pieces that you can wear no matter what season. My usual go to in this case is Marks & Spencers. Yes, I know what you’re thinking… “But that’s an old lady shop no?“… No, it’s not!

Marks & Spencers is a brand that is usually overlooked. It has had a bit of an ‘older’ image in the past and struggles to appeal to younger women. But I urge everyone to check them out! They are bringing out some very stylish pieces including culottes, wideleg bottoms and their jeans are a dream fit!

I recently bought some basic wardrobe staples from them, including some great fitting mom jeans, a white blazer and black culottes.

SHOP THE LOOK

So that makes my tips on adding colour to your work wear. Hope you found it useful and that it has inspired you to add some colour into your own everyday outfits. Have your own tips to share? Comment below or tweet me at @arcasela.

1. 18th May 2017 / 10:51 pm

Such a good post! I am guilty of wearing dark colors all the time, so I need color in my life!

• arcasela
      18th May 2017 / 11:05 pm

I’m exactly the same Jen! I’m getting. Enter though I actually have bright colours in my wardrobe now lol

2. 19th May 2017 / 1:52 am

I love to wear a brightly- colored top with a neutral sweater or jacket. An added bonus is that this makes it easy to adjust throughout the workday if your office temperature is constantly fluctuating!

3. 19th May 2017 / 3:39 am

I needed this. I see color and get nervous because I feel like I have to do a whole thing. Starting small makes it much easier. I will definitely be trying this.

4. 19th May 2017 / 9:37 pm

I love orange! Need to incorporate it into my wardrobe more. Thanks for the tips 🙂

5. 19th May 2017 / 9:56 pm

I love the pop of bright colour. I really should incorporate this advice into my wardrobe. I’m usually in neutral colours, especially black and white, and it’s really hard to get out of that habit.

6. 19th May 2017 / 10:37 pm

Hey, I absolutely love this! Sometimes it’s hard to know the rules of dressing up. Like I was eyeing these red shoes and knew that I didn’t want to wear them with a red dress. Too much red. Right? So, I wore them with a white dress on my 40th birthday and had a blast. I also like to wear them with black or a pair of jeans and a solid color top (white or black). Any suggestions? I also love the color yellow!

• arcasela
      19th May 2017 / 10:40 pm

I love yellow with white it’s so summery! Red shoes sound like a dream, I must invest in a pair! I’ve seen a girl wear red shoes with a deep blue dress that looked very chic!

7. 20th May 2017 / 9:07 pm

I love this and it need to inject colour into my work wardrobe as colleagues always laugh and ask who’s
    Funeral im attending as I’m a slave to black. I am going to try new colours this year that’s a promise

8. eazynazy
    21st May 2017 / 1:22 am

i love bright colors and the Orange Blazer looks stunning <3

9. 21st May 2017 / 4:59 pm

I am known to wear dark colors and I must admit, I actually really love black. Lately my friend as have gotten on me about wearing bright colors, especially now that I post lots of videos on YouTube. I will have to make my statement at work also and brighten it up. It will be stepping outside my comfort zone but since everyone is on it, I feel the community.

10. Nida
    22nd May 2017 / 8:52 pm

This orange trousers!! Really bringing a spring vibes !! Wil give it a try

11. 24th May 2017 / 6:19 am

Great article, I liked it.I like orange! Need to incorporate it into my wardrobe.

12. 4th June 2017 / 10:07 pm

I’ve being trying to do this too. My wardrobe features a lot of navy and it’s been fun adding some pops of colour.

13. 6th June 2017 / 12:17 am

Love this post! Fantastic tips, I definitely need to inject more colour in my wardrobe!

14. 7th June 2017 / 7:33 pm

There are some gorgeous bright colours out there in the summer ranges, I love the orange. Kaz 🙂